Monday, December 29, 2008

New Moon: You Stinking Swear-Wolf

Maggie: I want more adult-like scenes. Like the makeout scene at the end -- they were touching each other's faces, which is romantic, but couldn't I just have a line where she runs her hands down his torso and maybe under his shirt to feel his skin? Or vice versa?

Ben: I agree about wanting more adultness. I just read a scene where Bella was really angry and she said "stinking" where any normal 18-year-old would say "fucking," you know? Or at least "damn." I'd rather have no swears at all than sanitized swears. Do you ever wonder what the book would be like if it were targeted at a 20-something audience? Say this is taking place in college instead of highschool. Or after college. If they're all 25. Would it be different?


Maggie: Towards the end of New Moon, she says "crap crap crap" when "shit" would have been much more realistic. I think it's stupid to use toned down swears. None at all are far better. I'm not sure it would work in college because Bella would be free to do anything she wanted without worrying about sneaking around her dad. The parental supervision adds to each minor and major crisis she goes through. Without Charlie to witness her going to pieces, would she ever have bothered to fake it long enough to go hang out with Jacob?

No comments: