Monday, December 29, 2008

New Moon: Werewolf Girl

Ben: Do you have the impression that Sam Uley maimed his wife's face in a fit of werewolfish rage? I was sure that's what happened, but now I'm not as sure. The werewolves don't seem to pose any danger to humans (at least intentionally) -- I think they only eat vampires.


Maggie: I am under the impression that Sam maimed his wife during the time when he was learning to control the temper that turns him. The werewolves are generally far less dangerous than the vampires. But Edward says that a young werewolf who hasn't learned to control himself can be very dangerous. Are werewolves only male?

Ben: So far the werewolves are all male, yes. They seem to only evolve in response to the presence of vampires. I hope there turns out to be lady werewolves, too, so they can be called she-wolfs.

4 comments:

Ben Monopoli said...

The wife-maiming thing really bothers me as-is, and I think that's why I keep looking for ways around it. However accidental Sam's wolfish outburst was, it's inexcusable, and Emily should've dropped his ass so fast his head should've spun on his wolfen neck.

There's a lot of stuff in the books that feels a little too women-in-the-kitchen for my taste (how the girls always need protecting; how Bella serves her father dinner every night), but the way Emily quietly stays with Sam even after he ripped half her face off is really pushing it.

Maggie said...

You are totally right about the women-in-the-kitchen vibe. In the first book, I felt like Bella was making dinner for her father 1. to have something to do to make being with him less awkward and 2. to help build their relationship.

In Book Three, it's just like he expects it of her. And laundry too - did he never wash his own sheets before she moved in!?

Ben Monopoli said...

Oh, goodness, when she washed his sheets I CRINGED.

And yeah, Charlie seemed to be able to take care of himself for the 17 years he lived alone prior to Bella's arrival...

Maggie said...

Now I'm 200 pages farther into the book and Edward is telling Bella when to sleep. Ugh.