Thursday, May 7, 2009

Local Art Show

I went to an art show opening reception tonight. The theme was animals - how could I resist?

There were a lot of cat or dog photos, paintings and drawings. An oil-paint snake, a close-up hummingbird, a beautiful pencil drawing of an ape. Only a few had the red dot symbolizing that they'd been sold. Most were more than $300. The snake was $8,000. It was large and in an ornate frame.

My favorite by far was a slightly blurry photo of a dog baring it's teeth, possibly lunging. (Am I reading into that? Perhaps the dog is just hanging its mouth open? But I see attack when I look at it.) It is $200. If I can sell enough of my books on Amazon, I may buy it.


It hadn't won anything. The first prize was an unimpressive painting of a metallic gold sheep. Second prize was a dog painting that I liked more. I wonder what the prizewinners get. I wonder what People's Choice winner gets.

1 comment:

Ben Monopoli said...

Is that picture of Jacob Black? ;-)