Thursday, January 29, 2009

Zombies in Literature

As I may have mentioned in the past, I love spoofs, often more than I love the originals.

This is sure to be the case with this book, which may horrify the literati in more ways than one.



I always felt embarassed that I could barely force myself through Jane Austen. As an English and literature major - and feminist - shouldn't I love her? I plan to give Austen another try when this version releases. I mean, check out this snippet from the summary:

Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy.


I was in a book club whose theme was books that had movie equivalents. We'd get together, talk about the book, then watch the movie and compare. We had a dozen movie versions of Pride and Predujice to choose from, and opted to watch one set in modern times, in a Mormon community in Utah. It was funny, but the threat of zombies would have been better.


Will someone please make a movie from this version of the book?




P.S. - In addition to spoofs, I also love zombies.
P.P.S. - Thanks, Rasimick.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Add in a Ninja and a bear on a chain for flavor and this could make the best spoof since Funny Games.

Maggie said...

Would you consider Funny Games a spoof?

Ben Monopoli said...

I like the idea of playing with novels that are in the public domain. It seems like it would be less taxing than writing something from scratch. Dean Koontz did it with Frankenstein.

I think as a kid I re-wrote The Tell-Tale Heart with a dog and a cat, but I could just be making that up.