Monday, December 29, 2008

New Moon: Months Pass Without Edward

Maggie: I thought the scene where Edward leaves her in the woods was well-written. The descriptions of her depression were good. I've felt that crushing loss feeling before. It took my breath away when what followed was pages marked only October, November, December. What a creative way to show time passing with no meaning at all. My heart was broken just like Bella's.

Ben: Whew, I'm glad you're reading so I can finally mention the blank October, November, December pages. The first one I thought was just a normal part break, then the second and third ones were like a punch in the gut. And normally I don't care for textual inventions like that.

Have you minded Edward being off-screen for so much of the book? Are you less interested because of that? For me his absence works better than having them together. I think I'm more interested in Edward as an unattainable ideal. I relate to her longing for him. Her relationship with Jacob seems more mature and realistic or something.

Maggie: I don't mind that Edward was out of the picture for most of the book. Unrequited love is so much more interesting to read about.

If I was her and I felt sure that Edward was not coming back, I'd get together with Jacob. I mean, she may not love him romantically, but I bet lots of people out there in the world marry their best friend instead of their intense, passionate love.

I think if I was Bella, in real life, I would go for Jacob Black too. But since I'm reading about someone else's life, I'm glad she's taking the more reckless option and going with Edward. But Edward and Jacob are almost an even draw for me.

No comments: