Monday, August 20, 2007

Shoulder

For the last year, I've had near-constant shoulder pain. I've seen doctors, chiropractors, physical therapists and acupuncturists. I've had x-rays and MRIs. No solutions and no relief.

Over the weekend, I got a massage at a different salon than I usually go to. The massuese told me that he doesn't think anything is wrong with my muscles. "The right shoulder is associated with being too hard on yourself," he said. "Are you down on yourself a lot?"

"You mean that my shoulder pain is emotional?"

"Well, I'm just saying you could pay attention to how you are feeling when the pain is the worst and maybe there's some connection."

I thought about it. Maybe I should be in therapy and not getting stuck with needles, cracked back into place and rubbed with hot rocks.

But as much as I subscribe to most of the new-age holistic school of thought, I couldn't buy this. Especially when Google showed no relevant results for a search of "shoulder and 'hard on yourself'."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maggie--

I've actually heard of this, but heard of allergies becoming inflamed connected with feelings of "downtroddenness." It might not be such a stretch...

Ben Monopoli said...

It's not mouse-clicking related, is it? When I'm at the computer a long time, my right shoulder hurts.

Maggie said...

Hi Keith! :)

It's definitely computer related, or at least I think it started that way. But it hurts if I drive for more than an hour too.

And four months of physical therapy didn't make any difference.

I could believe it's emotional or psychological except that it hurts when I'm in all different kinds of moods. I've heard of women who had breast cancer and ended up leaving their husbands and making miracle recoveries. It's not a far stretch, I just don't think it's the case for me and my weird shoulder.