Tuesday, January 23, 2007

What's Left?

I'm about as liberal as they come but recently I've realized that ending the war as fast as possible isn't the best thing. It seems obvious now and I can hardly remember the time when I felt otherwise, but this feeling has been a long time coming.

I think of myself as almost a 60's-era hippie: peace only, no war for any reason. Doing anything that will hurt or kill anyone is wrong. But we're in this war now and to pull out and leave as quickly as possible is not realistic. I believe doing so will result in increased terrorist activity.

Even just a few months ago, I would have scoffed at the idea of sending more troops or letting them stay there for as long as it takes, but if we really want to accomplish something, and to have the lives lost count towards something meaningful, we can't just change our minds and leave. We're there for better or for worse and we have to see that through. Hopefully that will involve better guidance a clearer plan.

The democrats won the House and Senate because we are so pissed off at the Republicans for the war and so many other transgressions. The democrats got in by preaching against the war, but I'm hoping they don't make the error of ending it before some stability has been reached. It's idealistic to say we want to end the war but is it rational?

No comments: