Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Buy One Get One Free

While I haven't been as wild about Hillary in the last year as I used to be, I was excited to hear about her announcement to campaign for the presidency. We've seen it coming ever since she started to inch slowly closer to the middle on certain issues. (Her move away from the left is what caused me to like her a little less, even though I understood why she was doing it.)

Immediately I was told by people that she'll never win. That may be realistic, but I don't care. She has to at least try, or she wouldn't be Hillary. And yes, it is in part because she's a woman. Women have hit the campaign trail before, of course, but I've never had a sense that any one of them could even come close to receiving the nomination. I think Hillary can.

On Good Morning America today, they were talking about getting two for the price of one when it comes to the Clintons. As first lady, Hillary was an inspiration because of all the work she did. How beneficial would it be to have Bill as the first man? It would be like electing three people: the president, her husband and the vice president.

3 comments:

Ben Monopoli said...

I was looking on Hillary's website yesterday and that's all I saw -- "Hillary" with barely a mention of "Clinton." I like that she's running as her own person.

I don't know much about Hillary and I'm eager to be swayed one way or the other one her. At this point I'd be happy to see her as president simply because she's different. Enough with the white men, already!

I don't know if a woman can win. I don't know whether a black man can win either, but that won't stop me from sticking with Barack till the end. It's going to be a fun campaign season!

Maggie said...

I was thinking yesterday how interesting it will be for you to have Barack and me to have Hillary. Imagine if they decided to run together as Pres and VP?!

I feel like I don't know much about Hillary anymore, but her announcement still made me giddy. I'd like to say "of course a woman can win!" but unfortunately I'm not that naive. I wish it was possible for Hillary and for Barack. Maybe we'll be surprised? Now *that* would make me proud to be an American.

She is most certainly running as her own person but I would feel good about Bill being there in the background, and knowing she can go to him for advice.

This morning on Good Morning America they asked her whether she thinks Barack is qualified and she said that is up to the American people to decide. They tried to skew that to make it look like she was implying she didn't think he could do it, but I really think she wants to avoid getting into the ridiculous behavior of negative campaigning, especially with fellow Democrats.

Ben Monopoli said...

I agree, I don't think there'll be too much attacking of each other from the Barack/Hillary camps. It seems likely that one of them will get the nomination, and I think it's also likely that whoever gets it will choose the other as VP.

They seem made for each other.