Monday, August 14, 2006

Lord of the Flies

The new issue of Bitch magazine has an article titled "Reading is Fundamental: Eight Books That Taught Us Something About Sex" by Juliana Tringali.

One of the subheadings is called "Island Crush," a vingette about Lord of the Flies that cracked me up. Here are a few snippets that give you the jist:

"As a 14-year-old, I saw in the book not a microcosm of world politics, not a commentary on the inherent evil in all men, but a tropical paradise populated by sweaty, smoldering, scantily clad boys... English boys."

"William Golding wrote his male characters to embody concepts like good and evil... Golding gave us the tantalizing dichotomy of Ralph and Jack. Who would you most like to get to second base with in a secret thicket? I spent such a large portion of fourth period pondering this, it should have been an essay question."

I never thought of Lord of the Flies in this light despite the fact that the whole stranded-on-an-island concept is a sexy premise. I guess I was just too young to think of the boys as attractive. Now they're so much younger than I am. That takes away any possible allure. The only feeling I remember having while reading it was pity for Piggy.

Guess I missed out...

No comments: