Monday, January 11, 2010

So it begins...

I never thought I'd have so much personally invested in the success of the man who argued George W. Bush into the White House, but that's the case today as superstar Republican lawyer Ted Olson begins a string of trials that will take same-sex marriage to the U.S. Supreme Court for the first time.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it. At first I suspected Olson was some kind of double-agent who would purposely blow the case and thus close off the Supreme Court as an avenue for gay rights potentially for decades. I feel better about him now, especially after reading his piece in Newsweek, but still, for the record, I think he's crazy. I can't see how he can possibly win. As I understand it, if he does win, every same-sex marriage ban in every state will in one fell swoop be struck down as violating the U.S. Constitution, and same-sex marriage will be legalized everywhere. And if he loses there will be precedent, and the Court doesn't overturn precedent lightly. Those stakes are incredible. Man, this is going to be nerve-wracking beyond belief.

Mr. Olson, if you're reading this: Win, and we'll forget all about that Bush thing, OK?

No comments: