Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Kindle Drawbacks

I hate the idea of reading any type of fiction on a screen (and any nonfiction longer than an article), but this blogger uncovers a drawback to the Kindle and its progeny that I hadn't even considered:

Matt is reading David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest on his Kindle, which is pretty convenient for a book that weighs in at more than 1,000 pages. But Matt doesn't get the signaling benefits of the dead-tree edition; that is, he doesn't get to show the rest of the world that he's reading such a hefty, ponderous tome.

Riding the T would get a lot more boring if I wasn't able to make snap judgments about people based on their literature of choice...

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Ha - or befriend people based on their literature of choice. I have twice talked with other women about Twilight, and I once had a lovely conversation with a handsome fella about Tom Robbins's book 'Still Life With Woodpecker.'