Monday, April 27, 2009

Poe Square!

I'm all for Boston having an Edgar Allan Poe Square, but does the intersection of Charles Street and Boylston really stir Poe-y feelings in anyone's heart? It may be near his birthplace, but when I think of Poe I think of him writing The Pit and the Pendulum in a mad frenzy and then falling into a gutter drunk. By Emerson and the Common, in view of PF Chang and the Four Seasons, is not a good place to fall into a gutter drunk. The only thing that can be said to be macabre about the area is perhaps the creepy way the Cold Stone Creamery people burst into song. But if a raven nests on the street sign, I'll shut up.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Hahaha - I love it!

By which I mean that I totally agree. That intersection is not Poe-y at all. Isn't there a posh furniture store across from PF Chang's?