Monday, April 13, 2009

The Obama's New Dog

I know Malia has allergies that made the choice of adopted dog a bit tricky, but I was disappointed to read that the First Pet is a purebreed. I was excited when the Obamas announced plans to adopt from a shelter. I hoped it would encourage others to do the same.



I know everyone has a lot of opinions about the mysterious new dog. Here's my two cents: If my animal rescue volunteering has taught me anything over the last four or five years, it's that people are going to rush out to buy an Obama dog of their own. Then shelters will start seeing more of these dogs surrendered.



This routine has played out many times over. Years ago, a shelter manager gave me this example: A Disney movie starring husky dogs causes people to rush out and adopt one, not realizing the amount of exercise and discipline the breed requires. They end up in shelters. Many end up euthanized. It sucks.

2 comments:

Ben Monopoli said...

This line in the article does make it sound like Bo was, in a sense, adopted: "Bo had been living with another family, but it wasn't a good fit, so the Kennedys acquired him for the Obamas."

Of course, who knows what they mean by "acquired." ;-)

Maggie said...

I was hoping they'd adopt a mutt of no discernible breed. But I did read that was an issue because of allergies.