Friday, February 20, 2009

What's new, Arthur?

My favoritest collection of short stories ever -- a twisted, lovely bunch of stories called Dogwalker -- is by a man named Arthur Bradford. The stories are about mutant puppies and all manner of crazy dreamworld ridiculousness told with a hilarious and touching matter-of-factness. Every once in a while I check his name on Amazon in hopes of finding a new release, but, to my dismay, aside from a few blips in McSweeneys, he's never published anything else.

His real interest seems to be in working with mentally handicapped adults at a place called Camp Jabberwocky. His project How's Your News? involves a team of handicapped campers doing man-on-the-street interviews around the country. There's a great documentary about it, and it's newly a series on MTV.

Seeing Bradford's name in the news made me Google him once again in my eternal hope of finding a new book, and I was happy to stumble across his baby blog, called Diaper Bandit, in which he chronicles his life as a new father. There's almost a year's worth of posts and I'm looking forward to reading them. Babies may not be as interesting as the cat-faced circus freaks in Dogwalker, but I'll take what I can get.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I just read some entries on the blog. I'm glad you posted it, I think I'll enjoy it during slow times at work.