Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Beauty and the Bong

I think the hooha over the photo of Michael Phelps with the bong is disgusting. The outrage is so phony and pointless. He is, by every account I've seen, a nice guy, not to mention the fact that he just won his country a bazillion gold medals -- he doesn't deserve to get trashed for something practically everyone does or has done themselves.

If he broke a law, fine, but the finger-wagging over what a 23-year-old did at a party is lame lame lame. Chill out, America.

Michael, you're still Phelpsian in my eyes!

3 comments:

Ben Monopoli said...

Let it be known that I made myself laugh out loud with this post title.

Maggie said...

I was considering writing a post like this. Seriously. I hope he doesn't have to go through the media apology circuit... though I guess he probably will.

Ben Monopoli said...

He already did the apologetic press release... hopefully that'll be sufficient.