Friday, August 8, 2008

Liveblogging the Opening Ceremony

8:05 - Quite a building, that bird's nest.

8:08 - President Bush enters the stadium and takes his seat. Ugh. He's a disaster, but he's our disaster, and when they say that the office is bigger than the person, I guess this is what they mean, because I feel some modicum of pride that he's there.

8:10 - 2,008 drummers moving in unison. Costas suggests that they're kind of... intimidating. He's right. Apparently the drummers were told during rehearsal to smile a lot. I can see why.

8:17 - "...To the more than one billion Chinese watching tonight." Further intimidating. One of my recurring dreams is an invasion nightmare wherein I look out the window and find the streets filled with foreign soldiers. This isn't helping.

8:22 - They're unscrolling across the floor a video screen the size of a football field. Color me impressed.

8:23 - It just occurred to me that all the performers so far are male.

8:24 - The video scroll is the world's largest LED screen. This is what $300 million buys, apparently.

8:32 - These flowing block things are incredible.

8:52 - It's like TRON come to life.

8:59 - OK, I'm bored now. Let's see some pole vaulting.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Hahaha - I love this!

It occurred to me roughly around that time that all performers had been male too. Then there was the one woman dancing on top of the platform thing.

Those moving blocks were amazing. I lost the argument about whether it was hydraulics or people...

My favorite was the segment with the green light up suits.

I can't wait for fencing and diving!

Ben Monopoli said...

I had no doubt that the blocks were hydraulic-controlled, and even then I was impressed. When the people came out of them I almost spit a cookie across the room. I'm totally flabbergasted as to how they did that with such precision.