Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Nerves of (Danielle) Steel

Danielle Steel is publishing her 75th novel and has this to say about writing:

"I still never finish a book without being terrified I can't write another one. I never start one without being terrified I can't finish it. It's sort of a torturous process."

Seventy-five and it's still torture for her. I'm only on my second, and both have felt like getting kicked in the face. I was hoping it would get easier.
She pounds out all her novels ... on a 1946 Olympia manual typewriter and first drafts are usually done in a punishing 20-hour shift.

Key word "punishing."

I don't think I've ever heard of a writer who likes writing. Writers like having written. Probably in the same way that women don't particularly enjoy childbirth, but keep having kids.

No comments: