Wednesday, June 25, 2008

You've got something on your lapel, Senator

I don't know how I feel about Obama's capitulation to the flag lapel pin. Probably you heard about the pin brouhaha. I have nothing against wearing a flag pin, but the idea that if you don't wear one, you're not sufficiently patriotic, is bullshit. I liked that Obama (in not so many words) called it bullshit. But then, a couple months later, a pin showed up on his lapel.

It helps that apparently it was given to him by an old veteran; so in that sense, it's a gift, like all the other trinkets and good-luck charms people have given him that he carries around in his pockets, as much as it is saying "Fine, here's my freaking flag pin. Happy now?"

I guess Obama knows how to pick his battles. He is a politician, after all.

No comments: