Wednesday, May 7, 2008

All right, I'm calling it

Everyone else is calling it, so I might as well too: Barack Obama is the presumptive Democratic nominee.

Because I can't help gloating a little bit, I direct your attention to this LCiN blog post from November, where I correctly predicted an Obama/McCain race. If you recall, this was back when McCain was bankrupt and polling in single digits, and Clinton was inevitable.

How did I know? A crystal ball? A keen political sense?

No. Just this: On the Republican side, McCain had to win because all the others were so laughably embarrassing. (Romney? Giuliani? Come on.) And on the Democratic side, Obama was just too good a candidate to lose. Obvious.

On running mates, though, I have no idea what will happen. My heart would skip a beat for an Obama/Joe Biden ticket, even though Biden is better suited for secretary of state. I like James Webb for Obama's VP. There's been chatter about him going with Gov. Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas. Alas, I have no predictions this time.

No comments: