Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hard to be Humble

Many people inevitably find a way, justified or not, for blaming their self-esteem problems on their parents.

Aside from being self-conscious about my super-height, I generally have good self-esteem and I credit my parents. My mom always gave me lots of compliments and, unlike some girls' mothers, frequently told me I was too thin instead of suggesting I watch what I eat.

My dad set a positive example simply by having good self-esteem. I am thinking of a little song he used to sing to himself while shaving over the sink, or combing a part into his hair:
Oh Lord, how it's hard to be humble
When you're perfect in every way
Each morning I look in the mirror
I get better looking each day...


I always wondered if he made the song up or not, and if not, what kind of song was it? Sinatra-esque? Jazz-y?

A quick Google search just gave me the answer: It was written by Mac Davis, a country singer, and the rest of the chorus, which my dad never sung, is:

To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man
Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
but I'm doin' the best that I can


Full lyrics are here. Maybe I'll sing this to myself every morning to start my day confidently.

And, as a side-note: there are some truly hilarious country music lyrics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

true...so very true