Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Snake Boat Races

I will soon be traveling to New Delhi, India for work. I have been warned about everything from not drinking the water (perhaps I'll learn how babied my body has been in America, as Ben mentioned a few weeks ago), to not going anywhere except with my company-assigned driver, to turning a blind eye to the bleak poverty that will surround me.

Upon reading about India, I learned of an upcoming holiday that includes music, elephant parades and a snake boat race. I'm terrified of snakes, but the image was intriguing. I mentioned it to my roommates. Jon in turn asked me and Trish what image came to mind when we pictured a snake boat. "I imagine a boat made of snakes that are woven together," he said.

Trish imagined a glass boat filled with snakes, so they can be seen slithering within the interior and exterior walls.

I imagined a simple wooden row boat that sat in the street on top of hundreds of snakes, who moved it across the ground by slithering.

Of course, it's none of the above, though I'm not sure what it is. I guess I'll find out soon enough! In other snake news, I hope I get to see a snake charmer. This photo is from a colleague who was in India for 3 months last year.

1 comment:

Ben Monopoli said...

India! When are you going? How exciting!