Friday, October 12, 2007

Nobels and Presidencies

The headline on MSNBC.com this morning gave me chills:
Gore Wins
It was one of those time-travel moments; for a second I let myself believe I was reading that headline in the fall of 2000. If only! But Gore's win this time is the Nobel Peace Prize, for his work promoting awareness of global warming.

And good for him.

I've been anticipating this for months because it's inevitably tied to the lingering question, "Will Gore run?" Oh, sure, I'm an Obama man through and through, but in my more insecure moments, when a "President Obama" seems unlikely, there's a definite appeal to a Gore/Obama ticket. It would be a great balance -- Al's experience and vision, Barack's charisma. Who could challenge that?

But at this point, given Hillary's steam-train of a campaign (and the growing likelihood of a Clinton/Obama ticket), I no longer feel the same desperation for Gore to run and to save this day. Clearly he has other things to do.

No comments: