Monday, June 4, 2007

The U.S. vs. John Lennon

I recommend this documentary, which I watched last night. It's about John Lennon's involvement in the Vietnam War protests, and Richard Nixon's repeated attempts to have Lennon deported.

Until I saw this my only experience with John Lennon was that he was a member of the Beatles. And still I can't say, from watching a 90 minutes of clips with an agenda, that I know much about him. But one thing that struck me was how he looked at Yoko Ono with the kind of love you almost never see come out of anyone. (Personally I don't get the attraction, since Yoko didn't seem to do much other than stare into the middle distance from behind a bushel of hair, but that's beside the point.) And, in general, John Lennon seemed almost bursting with love and compassion.

Then, of course, he gets murdered.

I wonder why it's always the good, peaceful people who get assassinated. It's always Lincoln and Jesus and Gandhi and Martin Luther King and John Lennon who get assassinated, while Hitler and Stalin and Pol Pot are allowed to go on.

No comments: