Thursday, May 3, 2007

Crock Pot Revolution

When I asked for a crock pot for Christmas, my mother said, "My, you're becoming quite domesticated." It annoyed me, of course, but maybe it's true. Because I love my crock pot. I love throwing a bunch of stuff in it and walking away for a whole day only to return to a lovely-smelling kitchen and a hot meal.

Before I started my new job, I'd cook on Saturdays, chopping and prepping in the morning and then lounging all day until our bellies grumbled at 6 pm.

Now I've begun preparing everything at night and putting it in the pot. I take it out of the refrigerator in the morning, set it on low and go to work. Sure, it's supposed to cook for only 8 or 9 hours and it's in the pot for nearly 12 hours by the time we get home, but nothing beats coming home to a meal that's ready to eat. No discussion of what to have or who's turn it is to cook.

Best invention ever.

I need to buy another one though, since it's tricky to either put chicken on one side and tofu on the other, or to find something we can both eat. If I had two, we'd be golden.

1 comment:

Ben Monopoli said...

My mom had a crock pot phase while I was in high school. It was weird watching her chop carrots while I was eating breakfast.

But it must be amazing to come home from work to a dinner-smelling house!