Sunday, February 4, 2007

Store vs. National

On an episode of Dateline a few months ago there was a story about how most people can't tell the difference between store-brand food products and national brands (like Shaw's vs. Green Giant). It's just that, when it comes to supermarket products in particular, people tend to stick with the brands they were raised with, even if they're more expensive.

Now, I'll jump at the chance to divert 30 cents from a can of peas to a pair of $180 jeans -- so since the episode aired, Chris and I have been experimenting with store-brand products. Here's some of what we've discovered so far.

Shaw's sugar vs. Domino. Verdict: Granules in Shaw's version slightly coarser, but otherwise no difference.

Shaw's creamcheese vs. Philadelphia. Verdict: Slight difference in texture but no difference in quality.

Shaw's milk vs. Garelick Farms. Verdict: No difference.

Shaw's orange juice vs. Tropicana. Verdict: Tropicana wins. Pulp in Shaw's brand is less pureed and catches in teeth.

And finally, Shaw's peas vs. Green Giant. Verdict: I swear it's the same pea!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm a market snob because I don't like the store brands. It could all be in my head but I don't think the store brand stuff is as good. I have it in my mind that the big companies ie Green Giant buy up all the good, fresh veggies and the store brands get what's left. You'll probably never see Shaw's peas in my cabinet.