Wednesday, December 6, 2006

A token of the past

Let me preface by saying that when it comes to Boston, I love new things. Every new building is a little exciting. I'm all for the new parking meters on Newbury Street that take credit cards, as well as the solar-powered trash-compacting garbage cans. I can't wait till a huge new skyscraper alters the skyline.

But I just can't get behind the new Charlie tickets that have replaced the good old-fashioned T tokens. The last token was sold today, to much hurrah, but it doesn't feel to me like a step forward. The new Charlie cards are confusing to buy and dirty to dispose of (notice all the crumpled cards littering the T-station floors now). I don't like the new turnstyles, either. They're not even turnstyles, they're quick-sliding doors that always seem to snap shut on my leg or the edge of my jacket.

The new Green Line T cars are great, and the new stations (Charles Street, etc.) are beautiful. Both were needed. But I don't see what was wrong with the tokens, and I miss them already.

No comments: