Friday, November 17, 2006

Sign Here

I have a signed copy of the memoir Half the House. Author Richard Hoffman was in residence at Emerson while I was there getting my BA in Writing, Literature and Publishing. We read his book for my freshmen writing symposium, which focused on the family and fatherhood.

Until this morning, that was the only book I owned that contained the signature of its creator. During some chit chat with CIO's managing editor, I learned that he penned two mystery thrillers. He offered me a copy, I accepted and he signed it. Now I can add Zaddick to my collection of two.

One of the other editorial assistants here has a vast collection of books that contain personal notes and signatures of their authors. Mostly, it's Stephen King titles. I wouldn't mind having a book signed by King since he's so famous, but I would love to have Francesca Lia Block sign something for me. Unfortunately, all of her book signings take place on the west coast.

Far more valuable to me are the books that have been given as gifts and contain personal notes in the first few pages. I have at least three such books from Ben, and probably another three from various other people. Sometimes I pull them off the shelf just to read the notes.

Signatures are bizarre things to ask celebrities for. A picture is more fun and more unique. There are people I would love to be able to sit down and interview, but what good is a signature? I've seen only a handful of celebrities in my life. I never bothered them, but if I had, I wouldn't have wanted an autograph. And yet it made my morning to receive this signed book.

We saw Mohammad Ali in the airport when my family was on our way to San Diego. My father brought us over to him and said to my brother and me, "I want you to meet the greatest boxer that ever lived." Ali shook our hands. He didn't speak to anyone because of his condition. When my then-six year old brother asked, "Could you beat Rocky?" Ali just smiled, and mimed boxing with my brother, tapping him lightly on the cheek.

That memory is better than some ink on a page of a book that will be shelved and forgotten.

1 comment:

Ben Monopoli said...

The only time I've ever been in a situation to have my picture taken with a celebrity (Danny from Real World New Orleans, who I was in love with) I didn't, and instead just shook his hand profusely while he asked me questions I was too awed to answer. I thought if I asked for a picture I'd only ever remember the picture (and likely critique how I looked in the picture). So I have it all in my mind instead.

I have one book autographed -- "You Shall Know Our Velocity" by Dave Eggers, a nice hardcover copy that Tom got me. I also have a half-dozen comics autographed by the artists and writers (including Clark and Lois's wedding issue) that I got from my dad.