Friday, October 27, 2006

A Starbucks Definition

Today, the other editorial assistants and I were asking ourselves, 'What is the difference between a latte and a cappucino?' I assumed they'd know because they are coffee drinkers, but no one could tell me.

"It's something about the amount of milk," one said.

"I thought it was the foam," said the other. "Look it up on Google."

I looked it up on Wikipedia and found an incredibly in-depth, precise explanation of latte v. cappucino, right down to the amount of foam (one centimeter).

Also enjoyable was the add-on definition of ghetto latte: a latte you make yourself by ordering a cheaper drink and using the free milk and condiments to make an approximate copy of the pricer over-the-counter version. Also known as a bootleg latte.

I might have known about the latte bootlegging problem if I was a coffee drinker, as it was important enough for the Chicago Tribune to cover.

No comments: