Friday, October 6, 2006

So long, 100

I was in Boston the other day and I happened to see in a local paper an article reporting the sale of some Emerson dorms, including my old dorm, 100. 132 Beacon, the Student Union, 6 Arlington -- they're all gone now. Emerson moved out.

Partly it makes me sad because these buildings, old and decrepit as they may have been, had character that can never be replaced by hi-tech. And I'm sad too because these buildings I spent so much time in will be gutted and turned into million-dollar condos -- especially 100. A huge part of my life took place in that building.

But for the same reason I'm sad about it not being a dorm anymore, I'm glad too. That was my dorm, and there's something satisfying about seeing it sealed off... and seeing a newspaper proclaim that no one -- at least college students -- can live there anymore. Future Emersonians will make their memories elsewhere.

I guess it's fitting that I left Boston the same summer 100 ceased to exist. It'd been a long time since I last looked up at my old windows and wished I still lived there, but it's comforting to know I haven't left anything behind. No Christmas lights in the windows. No smokers on the steps. No orientation leaders in brightly-colored shirts. No shuttle bus idling outside. Just businessmen now, deciding how to carve it up.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

This made me want to shed a tear - I miss it! I would have lived there for years more, in the cramped single or the double with too many doors to arrange furniture properly.
And Cinderella's or Ankara late at night.