Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Radio notes

One thing I was looking forward to about having a car was having a place to listen to the radio. I was always behind on new songs and music trends because all I listened to was my iPod. But when listening to radio, I've found, you have to deal with the hosts.

The djs on the stations that play the music I like are all pigs. I'm sorry, but I don't care to be gay-bashed via radio, especially before breakfast. (Example: "Parakeets are stupid pets -- they're useless faggots," proclaimed the guys on WBCN the other day.) Click, off my presets they go forever.

Classical 102.5 is the only station I've found that assumes its audience is older than thirteen. However, I end up talking to that station when I listen to it because of their language choices. "Here is some music by which you can drive," one of the hosts told me this morning. I admire her correct grammar, but this isn't a medical journal, after all. There's one particular evening show whose title drives me crazy. It's called Tracks to Relax, as in: "Here are some tracks to relax." And I always shout "TO! Tracks to relax TO!" Doesn't that sound more fun? It rhymes better, and "relax to" is the obvious mirror of "tracks to." But to tack on that "to" would demand that the whole show be re-titled Tracks To Which You Can Relax. My observation for Classical 102.5 would be that one can respect grammar without being a slave to it.

I want to start my own station. It would play mostly indie bands. It would be somewhat snobby and elitist, but with a welcoming tone that assumes everyone is equally snobby. It would never refer to women as bitches or sluts. And although it might rant about how parakeets are indeed stupid pets, it would make more creative comparisons.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

I love 102.5! Or at least, I did before Sirius radio.

I found the DJs voices almost as relaxing as the music.

Anonymous said...

I hate the radio. All I listen to is 96.9 and Npr. Ironic I think. The "conservative" talk station and the "liberal" talk station. I like middle of the road. Oh and DJs are the worst thing ever. That Pandora.com shit needs to get mobile!