Monday, July 31, 2006

Sunday, Interrupted

I looked forward to Sunday all week. I had DVDs to watch from Netflix and five books from the library to browse through. I had plenty of things to eat. I planned to lounge all day.

It was beautiful out on Sunday, 88 and sunny. I spent time outside on Saturday so I didn't feel like I was wasting the good weather by staying inside. But, by 4 o'clock, I decided I should go outside for a bit. I walked to get ice cream just down the street, less than half a mile away.

On the way there, I was whistled at by a guy driving by in a car.

On the way home, four guys in a truck with booming bass music called out at me. I was startled by the first guy, but I was able to react more quickly to the second group. Reflexively, I gave them the finger. I got a "What's your problem, bitch?!" in return.

I know it's not that big a deal, but with all the fear mongering about girls getting raped and abducted, it's a real shame that I can't walk down the street for an ice cream cone without feeling afraid. It's not like I was wearing a bikini -- I had on knee-length jean shorts and a tank top that was neither low-cut nor cropped (which I mention to debunk the infuriating "she was asking for it" debate). Groups of guys, even those cruising by in a car, are very intimidating. So it is a big deal.

And no, it's not at all flattering.

4 comments:

Ben Monopoli said...

When we were having dinner last week and the guy in the restaurant was checking you out, I wanted to ask you if that kind of thing bothers you. I guess it depends on the situation.

When I'm walking along and I see a guy oogling a girl, I feel embarrassed and ashamed for him. For one thing, I can't imagine being able to be that open about who you're oogling. If I want to check someone out, I have to make use of reflections and subtle glances. To be so open seems like a violation of the person. It's disgusting. If the woman is performing a strip-show, fine, but otherwise, I want to slap these men and tell them to have some respect.

In Provincetown Chris and I once got whistled at by two white-haired queens driving by. Funny in that case, but I can understand how a different situation with different ooglers could upgrade to scary really quick.

Maggie said...

Who was checking me out? I was completely oblivious to it.

It doesn't bother me to just be looked at, but it bothers me when people say something to me. Fine, look at me. I definitely check people out so looking is okay, but it's when people say sexual things to me with no invitation whatsoever.

Anonymous said...

When Stacey went to italy she had this class on how to act over there. It is a totally different world over there. The guys hoot and holler at the girls all the time and get right up in their faces and pretty much are like any stereotypes you can think of. Lip puckering, making kissy noises, going right up to the girl...it is pretty rediculous. They teach you to basically be a hardass and walk by looking straight ahead and giving not a mention to them. I think that is pretty fuct. It would make me pissed as a boyfriend and I would think it would make the girls very intimidated.

Maggie said...

I've heard that about Italy. I wonder if Italian women are more accepting of it. Do Italian women need to be told what to do the way visiting American women are?

When does that aggressive tactic ever yield a date? And since I'm betting it hardly ever does, why do it?