Monday, June 19, 2006

Pleasing Mr Gore

Dear Maggie,

Was yours and Mike's decision to keep your air conditioner set to 75 instead of lower influenced by Al Gore? Chris and I reluctantly installed ours last night, only after any chance of sleeping without it seemed impossible. With some things, I'm happy to lower my carbon footprint. For example, since seeing Al's movie I now put my computer to sleep at night and when I'm at work, where I used to leave it running 24/7. And drowning polar bears are a good excuse to use fewer lights (I prefer dim ambiance anyway). But other times, like with the air conditioner and other power-slurping appliances, I feel guilty choosing emissions over discomfort. But I guess there must be some balance struck between what is feasible and what's not. For example, the fridge must run and there's no way around it. But, of course, Al says that small lifestyle adjustments, multiplied by millions or billions of people, is all it takes. I think he would be happy with our efforts.

Environmentally yours,

Ben

PS: Plus, the financial conservative in me, who doesn't give a crap about the bears, will be thrilled by the low electric bills.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has Al Gore reduced his footprint by flying commercial instead of on private jets?

Ben Monopoli said...

I don't know of his daily habits but he was seen flying commercial in the movie, yes.