Thursday, May 4, 2006

DaVinci Code

OK, yes, I'm finally reading because I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. And it didn't take me long to figure it out -- this is obviously a page-turner. What's more of a mystery to me, though, is why this book has been so popular among Christians since (at least to the point where I am in the book) it basically debunks Christianity.

It's been a long time since I've felt in any way Christian, but it stung me when we learn that Jesus's divinity was something that Roman emperor Constantine came up with hundreds of years after the fact... and was put to a vote by politicians seeking to create a religion that could subdue a rowdy population. Ouch. Is that true, I wonder (and if so, is it just ignored?), or is it merely a theory/myth the author is treating as fact in his story?

It weirds me out that we can never really know what happened in the past, and that real-life history can in fact be ret-conned just as easily as a silly comic book can.

No comments: