Monday, May 22, 2006

Calvin

This isn't a real Calvin & Hobbes strip but I thought it was good/depressing anyway. I'm afraid art/imagination is being medicated out of kids. Isn't there something to be said for being crazy? I guess it's easy for someone who has no trouble getting through his day to lament the lack of romance in sanity. I wonder what people would choose for themselves? If VanGogh had been on Paxil, he wouldn't have cut off his ear. He also wouldn't have painted. Hemingway wouldn't have shot himself, but he also wouldn't have written. Every Stephen King fan knows his books went downhill when he stopped drinking.

I don't know if that's okay. For individuals, maybe it's good, maybe stability is good. But for a society where soon the best art will be Volkswagen commercials, I think it's going to suck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad!

Maggie said...

Wow, that *is* sad.