Wednesday, April 5, 2006

The Message Rock

In the town I live in, just off the road that cuts the county in northern and southern halves, there is a rock whose flat side faces outward from a hill.

It's near the high school and the dirt parking lot to a reservoir, which maybe explains why it has been employed to relay people's messages to the world.

"GO PATRIOTS" with a perfectly accurate spray-painted Patriots emblem has been emblazoned on the rock. Other messages I've seen include "Happy Birthday, Mom!" "Cougars (a local high school team) Rock!" and "R.I.P. Marie."

I've decided to start taking pictures of the rock. The message changes at least once every two weeks. I've been desperate for some kind of project and this kind of thing fascinates me. It reminds me of the things in Weird NJ - abandoned houses or creepy old statues or bizarre landmarks that my friends and I used to drive to see on weekends when we were in high school.

I wonder how it started? What was the first message on the rock? I wonder if anyone is ever caught and arrested for spraypainting the rock. I wonder if the rock is a landmark to people around here.

Stay tuned for more rock messages.

No comments: