Monday, April 10, 2006

Melting Pot


I walked through this on my way home from work today. It was really pretty nice. Very low-key and a lot of goodwill. I'm not sure how I feel about this whole illegal immigration debate. Yes they may not have gone through the paperwork to become legal citizens (my own great-grandfather was for a time an illegal immigrant until he went through some ridiculous hoop to become legal), but they seem happy with this long and quite difficult path toward citizenship the Kennedy/McCain bill offers. But anyway, what I do know is that it's nice to see people value being American.

I'm going to quote another blogger because I think he says it better than I can:
Flag, and flags, and flags, and flags, and flags. You simply could NOT take a photo and NOT capture an American flag. And I have to say, this was the first time in years that I was proud to find myself in a sea of American flags. I was actually proud of my country again, proud to be American. A couple of years ago George Bush had deadened my pride in my country. It's ironic that it took a crowd of non-Americans to bring it back.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

That *is* a very true statement.

I wish I could have seen it. I miss seeing things like this on the common because it reminds me that people still care about things. Sometimes I feel like no one is standing up for anything anymore.