Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Don't I Know You?

When I was walking to work this morning I saw someone wearing the same shirt as me. I hate when that happens. My instinct is to look away and pretend I haven't noticed, or in some circumstances I'll change routes altogether to avoid walking with the person.

It's even worse when the whole person, not just his attire, looks like me. There was a kid at Emerson who looked exactly like I'd look if I were six inches taller and fifty pounds heavier. I saw this guy everywhere, and each time it was as embarrassing as if I'd been walking around in my underwear. When I had to pass him closely I'd put my hand over my face to obscure my features. I wondered if he noticed me. Was he as creeped-out by me as I was by him? Did he think I had plaigarized his looks? Did he wonder if my parents also looked like his?

It's very disconcerting.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

That's what always weirds me out about someone who looks like me - I wonder if they're parents look like mine. What's really confusing is how two people can look alike when they aren't the same ethnicities. There was this kid who was almost identical to my brother but he wasn't Irish, Italian, Swiss or Hungarian. (The four main things we are.)

I don't remember the guy who looked like you though. I remember bizarro Jeff.