Monday, March 6, 2006

Brokeback Post

I'm surprised by how disappointed I am that Brokeback Mountain didn't win Best Picture last night. I didn't think I would care because I wasn't sure it deserved to win. Capote was a better movie; Crash may have been too. Brokeback wasn't even my favorite movie of the year.

So when it lost, I wasn't angry -- but I still feel a low sadness about it, a mopey hanging-head sadness. Because it wasn't just about the movie for me, I realize now. I wanted to live in a world where a same-gender love story can win Best Picture. That's all. That one little thing. Heck, maybe we already live in that world; maybe it's just that Brokeback wasn't good enough.

Maybe.

I guess we'll never know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't that long ago, Ben, that a same-gender love story would never have even been made, much less get nominated for the best picture of the year. Maybe it just wasn't the best picture of the year- but there's always next year. And once one same gender love story is out there, more and maybe better ones will follow- there's no going back. So hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

If Brokeback Mountain had won, would people think it was mainly because of the subject matter and the Academy wanting to make a statement? While I loved Brokeback Mountain and think it was one of the best films I've seen, Crash is a very unique and thought-provoking film. As one journalist already pointed out, the subject of race relations in Los Angeles probably resonated with Academy members more.

Maggie said...

I'd have liked to see Brokeback win, but I don't think it was the best picture in the running. However, I was very disappointed that none of the actors won - I really think they all deserved to win, especially the two male leads.