Sunday, January 22, 2006

Recent Reports of Floating Children

The first time I saw a kid wearing what I now know to be Heelys was at Logan Airport. It was very early in the morning, even before dawn. I was waiting for a flight and eating a hard bagel. I happened to look up and there was a boy, maybe 7 or 8, floating down the terminal -- hovering -- at a pretty good clip.

My first reaction was that he was on a moving sidewalk, but that wasn't the case. And then the boy stopped hovering and began to walk awkwardly on his toes, as though he were wearing high heels.

He took a few steps on his toes, rocked back onto his heels, and began floating again. And it occured to me: he had wheels in his heels.

"Did you see that?" I exclaimed to my dozing travel partner. "Did you see that?"

It's been almost a year since my first sighting of Heelys, and since then I've seen perhaps a dozen or more cases of both boys and girls, all around 10 years old, floating around or walking like they have high heels on. I feel like cheering each time I see one. The awesomeness of it astounds me.

I used to like to complain about how, when I was these kids' age, all my sneakers did was light up. "I want them for adults!" I would say. But it has recently come to my attention that they do in fact make Heelys for adults.

I may have to get a pair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have wanted them for some time now. They have been made for adults since the begining. Although now stores are begining to ban people wearing them from entering their stores because of the liablity that they pose.