Monday, January 23, 2006

Of Mothers and Memoir

Hey Maggie, did you see my mother's comment to my warts post? Since it was my very first post, it must appear as though I've been harboring wart-trauma for the past decade. In reality I hadn't thought about warts for almost that long, and in fact had to make up the locations of two out of three because I couldn't even remember where they were. But now she thinks she's a bad mother for not sensing my teenage insecurity and offering to get them removed. To mothers there is no fiction, only memoir riddled with clues about things they may have done wrong. And we love them for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's true, you know. I search thru everything that you say and do for signs that I messed up somewhere- things I should have done differently to make growing up better for you. It's a mother guilt thing that must stem back to Eve when she ate that damn apple and sentenced her future kids to exile from the Garden.

Maggie said...

That's truly adorable (hope that doesn't sound condescending). Your mom sounds like a really sweet woman.

My mom does the same thing with my writing. If what I write isn't a glowing review of her mothering, she assumes I absolutely hate her. She's so dramatic.