Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A Netflix Viewer's Thoughts on "Six Feet Under," as of Season 3 Disc 1

Let's start with Brenda. She's a crazy manipulative bitch. I never felt like she belonged with Nate and I never bought that she actually cared about him, which was all the more painful because Nate is such a nice guy. To Brenda he was a just a game, an experiment, someone to screw with to get revenge for her own messed-up childhood (which she talked about way too much and blamed all of her problems on). I never trusted Brenda as far as I could throw her. That said, she's a delight to watch, maybe because she fires such fury in me. Her psychologist parents are out of control also, and her brother, while gorgeous, has a personality like knuckles on a cheese-grater.

Nate is, I think, the only likable character on the show. If David has a single redeeming quality I haven't discovered it yet. Rico is an over-macho shrimpy asshole. Keith's anger-management issues make him a demon. Ruth is infuriatingly passive-aggressive and thinks she can solve everyone's problems by making them a sandwich. And Claire is frustrating. And yet I love every one of them as though they were my own children.

I'm not sure what to make of the time-jump between Seasons 2 and 3, though. Nate and Lisa are together now? I feel betrayed to have missed their entire courtship and marriage -- the writers were either ballsy or stupid to have skipped over a whopping seven months of the characters' lives (I haven't decided which yet). And as much as I hated Brenda, it doesn't feel right with her missing, and with Nate married to someone else. Season 3 so far feels more like a spin-off of the original series than a continuation. But unlike most spin-offs, it doesn't suck. It's just taking some getting used to.

On to Disc 2.

No comments: