Monday, October 26, 2009

Sacrilegious Remakes

When I heard they were remaking Adventures in Babysitting, I rolled my eyes. When I heard the star attached to the remake is Miley Cyrus, I almost gagged. What is with the latest trend of remaking movies that have no business being remade? To quote Adventures in Babysitting, "Don't f--- with the babysitter"!


I got the latest Crime Against The Original news today, when I read that they are remaking Thelma and Louise. Thelma and Louise! While Adventures in Babysitting may be a 'classic' in sentimental terms only (I watched it dozens of times as a kid and my brother and I still quote it to each other), Thelma and Louise is an actual classic. Leave our classics alone!

The stars are supposedly one of the actresses from Gossip Girl and another young, barely-starlet. Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis may not be particuarly well-respected actresses, but replacing them with poptarts who are 15 years younger is a disgrace. Possibly the worst detail of all is the remake's title: Cowgirl Bandits. It's bad enough to make my brain explode out my eyes. Goodbye, feminist messages. Hello, superficial girl power.

Why not remake a movie that wasn't done well the first time around? Like Twilight!



No comments: